Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: southern California
12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
1. make sure you use the VMXNET2 or 3 or e1000 NIC driver emulator in VMWare; the 'flexible' VMWare driver is terrible with Linux.
2. If the other VMs could be put in a DMZ, then you could have, in Astaro:
WAN interface (physical NIC)
LAN interface (physical NIC)
DMZ interface (virtual NIC to vSwitch)
This should perform well, and provide good security.
If your VMs need to be on LAN, then yes, you should be able to use some bridging to get what you need, or just put the entire LAN on the vSwitch and don't dedicate a NIC to the Astaro LAN side; it should perform fine.
End-user since v1.x
- ASL 8.3x, HP DL145, 1GB RAM, 6 gigE NICs, 50-IP Platinum License
- ASL 7.5x, HP DL360G5, Xeon 5160, 3GB, RAID, gigE NICs, 50-IP Platinum License
- ASL 9.0x, 17-watt fanless mini-ITX system: MSI IM-945GSE-A Atom n270, 2GB RAM, Morex T3310 case. 2 Intel GigE, 3 VLANs. 80G 5200rpm 2.5" HD.
Netgear GS108T gigE VLAN switch & Astaro AP30 Access Point with VLANs.
100-IP Home Power User License. 15/5mbit FiOS internet.
Last edited by BarryG; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.