Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: southern California
12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
1. make sure you use the VMXNET2 or 3 or e1000 NIC driver emulator in VMWare; the 'flexible' VMWare driver is terrible with Linux.
2. If the other VMs could be put in a DMZ, then you could have, in Astaro:
WAN interface (physical NIC)
LAN interface (physical NIC)
DMZ interface (virtual NIC to vSwitch)
This should perform well, and provide good security.
If your VMs need to be on LAN, then yes, you should be able to use some bridging to get what you need, or just put the entire LAN on the vSwitch and don't dedicate a NIC to the Astaro LAN side; it should perform fine.
IT Consultant specializing in high-performance Web Infrastructure and Security.
Astaro End-user since v1.x
- ASL 9.2x, HP DL360G5 - FW, IPS, VPNs
- ASL 9.2x, 2 Dell 1950's as WAF/proxy w HA
- UTM 9.1x, Atom n270, 2GB RAM, 2 Intel GigE
Netgear GS108T gigE switch & Astaro AP30 Access Point with 4 VLANs.
60/60mbit FiOS internet.
- Pending - UTM 9.2x, i5-4670, 4GB RAM, 2 Intel GigE
Needs new NIC drivers before deploying
Last edited by BarryG; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.